The Fast Law Firm practices both debt collection and defense against collections.
- Are creditors or debt collectors harassing you?
- Do you need legal help defending against a lawsuit or threats of a lawsuit for money you allegedly owe?
- Are creditors reporting incorrect information on your creditor report?
While creditors and debt collectors have a right to pursue collection of money owed, there are both Federal and state laws that limit how they can go about collecting their money.
The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), for example, is a Federal law that makes it illegal, under normal circumstances, for a debt collector to call you after 8:00 p.m. on a weekday. It’s also illegal for them to contact (or even threaten to contact) your employer except to attempt to ascertain your location.
The FDCPA makes it illegal, in fact, for debt collectors under any circumstance to do any of the following, while communicating with you, the debtor:
- Threaten violence or anything illegal.
- Use obscene language.
- Call repeatedly with the intent to annoy or harass the person they call.
- Fail to tell you who they are.
- Make false or misleading representations.
The Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA) extends protection to debtors from harassment not just from debt collectors but from creditors themselves.
Credit Report Errors: Debt collectors and creditors have a duty to correctly report debt on your credit report, and to mark disputes appropriately. If they are not doing this, they may be violating the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). If you see things on your credit report that aren’t supposed to be there, then contact this office and we will help.
Unwanted Phone Calls: The Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), prohibits creditors and debt collectors calling your cell phone with an autodialer without your consent. Damages for TCPA violations can be up to $1,500 per unwanted call.
The Fast Law Firm will provide you with legal help, legal advice and legal counsel for matters involving:
- Debt collection defense
- Debt disputes
- Fraudulent transfer defense
- Judgment domestication defense
- Judgment enforcement defense
- Lien disputes
- Debt collection lawsuit or litigation
- Violations of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) or Florida Consumer Collection Practices Act (FCCPA)
- Promissory note collection defense
Whether you need a litigator or just legal help or legal advice, call now and let an attorney at the The Fast Law Firm help you resolve your legal matter.